Natural Resource Management

Only 12 % cultivable land in Jharkhand have access to basic irrigation facilities as compared to 48.8 % nationally. Remaining 88% of cultivable land in the state are dependent on the mercy of monsoon rains. In order to attain food security through sustainable agriculture, a timely intervention and innovation is required in the field of crop and soil enhancement, water absorption and better seed management.

The fact that only 12% of rainwater in the country is used with the remaining 88 % flow directly into the seas, speaks a lot about our lackadaisical approach towards water conservation. India's share of the global water resources stands at a paltry 4% whereas we share 16% and 15% of human and livestock resources respectively. Though Jharkhand receives more than average rainfall annually, due to lack of modern day water conservation techniques and water- shed development plans, the state experiences water scarcity year after year, especially during summer season. The very reason has a direct effect on the productivity of agricultural and livestock sectors.

Prabha, in collaboration with NABARD, Infosys, CINI and Tata Trust has initiated an integrated water -shed development plan for food security and agricultural sustainability. The objective of the initiative is to safeguard, preserve and improve the land resources for efficient and sustained agricultural yield.

The water-shed development exercise provides a much needed relief from flood in the downstream areas besides controlling the damaging run -offs. It also boosts the groundwater table through in-situ Conservation and water harvesting structures.

Prabha has played a key role in soil and moisture conservation in the water deficient areas of Deoghar and Dumka districts of Santhal Pargana region of Jharkhand. By the construction of trench cum bund, water absorption trench, water harvesting structures like ponds, wells, water has been preserved for usage in agriculture and allied activities. Our training on land levelling and drainage line treatment through loose boulder structure, drum-check dams, masonry check dams and guard walls have not only checked the flood in the low lying areas but also acted as a saviour for thousands of farmers in the rain deficient areas.

Our Donors